Skip to content

Federal Contracting Resources

System for Award Management (SAM)
Any entity wishing to do business with the federal government under a contract or applying for federal grants must be registered in SAM. Completing the online registration can take some time depending on the size and complexity of your company.  Before you begin registration you will have to have required information about your business available for reference.

Guide to SAM - download pdf

SAM Registration Checklist

1. Get your DUNS Number.  
If you don't have already one, you will have to register for a DUNS number from Dun & Bradstreet.  You can get your DUNS Number at:

2. Know your Tax ID Number. 
A Taxpayer or Employer Identification Number (TIN or EIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.

3. Find your NAICS and FSC Codes   
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) categorizes products and service codes by industry sectors.  These are mandatory 6 digit codes that identify what type of activity an entity performs, as well as the type of product or service offered. To find your NAICS code(s), visit:

FSC Codes are optional 4 digit codes included in the Product Service Code (PSC) list found in the Assertions section of a SAM entity registration. To locate the right one for your entity, go to FSC Codes.

4. Have other business information on hand, including your Bank Account and Routing numbers.

5. Determine whether your business is considered to be a small business:

If you have any questions, please call 707-826-3922 or email
Sponsored by
California Department of General Services Logo